
In Sickness and In Wealth
Ben Stood staring into the mirror hanging from his closet door.
This was just another day Ben would push together his double life into the skins of a single man,
Just another day spent tightening up the seams, perhaps not so different from the last.
He slipped into his attitude like a coma, and slid on a white linen shirt from his closet that he couldn't remember buying.
He strapped on his black leather wrist watch, and stared, tired, at the pile of books he would never read past the prologue.
He needed refuge, safety, embrace, and feeling, but unknowing the outcome of those risks, he settled instead on coffee.
Ben stood in the doorway, ready to leave, and looked at his wife Susan like it was for the first, or perhaps last time, and like yesterday, he could not decide.
Again, Ben tried to love his wife, and when he couldn't,
He closed the door.

1 The Lovers
We coveted our consistency and found toxicity in any and all that could harm it.
We stopped growing.
We were paranoid of the free spirited. We were suspicious of the creative.
We stopped seeing.
We abided by our inner-office regulations and weekly television programming.
We stopped searching.
We were empowered by our social connectability and felt all but invincible in areas of strong cellular telephone reception.
Collectively we had made somewhat a religion of our habits.
We were united by our incapability to feel with our hearts.
We disconnected with traditions, values, and conversations-
We stopped kissing with our hands.
We were short sighted by our individual views on life.
And then at once,
You were no longer my lover, but my backup drive-
Storage for the pieces of the history of us,
Files and feelings that had no place in-between penchants and productivity reports.
Let us make room for a reconnection to the love close to us. Stand –in, get out of the Stand-by.

2 Paulina Reverence
Paulina Reverence was an admirable woman,
but then she got knocked up by Uncle Sam.
Paulina was an adventurer,
but then she got locked up by Big Brother and the C.I.Am.
Paulina was an athlete, a hurdler extraordinaire-
Cocked up, jumping constitutional lines both here and there.
But then she galloped through freedom too excitedly,
Drew attention from the eyes of the Normalcy Supremacy-
They locked her in suburbia and buried her in tax-
Now she is a Patriot- if anyone asks.

3 Girls are full of hot air.
I have no valid feelings, I’m just cute.
I will bake you cookies if you tell me who to be.
Baby, I understand that you cheat, I’m not displeased.
I know you’ve got gelatin in place of your knees.
I know you store jealousy where your morals should be,
I know you’re real tired from that big corporate retreat-
And don’t worry about my birthday, I’ll have another next year,
I will stay twenty five so I’m still half your age-
Don’t concern yourself with it, love-
How was YOUR day?
It’s fine that you stay– but if you’ve got better to do,
When you go, Let me lay on your floor- so you don’t dirty your shoes.

4 Wheels and Watts
“ It is therefore quite common to find Nirvana described as a trance condition in which all sense of the separate forms and objects of the universe has vanished, to be replaced by a state of “infinite consciousness” into which the individual becomes absorbed even though his physical body may continue to live on. If he ever returns out of this trance condition it remains always in the back of his mind; the things around him seen like the insubstantial shadows of a dream, for:
Life, like a dome of many-colored glass, stains the white radiance of eternity until death tramples it to fragments…”-Alan Watts

Reflection Internal
No where in the world will I find what you see in me.


No comments:
Post a Comment